Monday, 2 December 2013

Quotations

The first Quote that I think is the most relevant to the theme of the novel is, "The abolitionists say they have brought me to England to help them change the course of history. Well. We shall see about that. But if I have lived this long, it must be for a reason." Page 5. This quote is extremely significant to her theme of hope. She hasn't lost the hope to finish what she believes she is on this earth for. She has gone through so many different hardships throughout her life that it is amazing that she still believes that she will accomplish her goal of abolishing slavery. This quote also shows how she doesn't have trust in anyone anymore. No matter what people say she will never find the strength to trust a stranger again. 

The second quote that I think is relevant to the book is, "He said my name fiercely. He said it with pride. I liked to hear it said that was. It made me stand a little straighter." Page 80. This quote is significant to the theme of identification. She has so much pride in hearing her name. She wants to be remembered and recognized for the person she once was. 

The third quote that I think is relevant to the book is, "One of these people will find my story and pass it along. And then, I believe, I will have lived for a reason." This quote is also significant because it shows what she believes her goal is in life. She knows what she wants to accomplish and she will do whatever it takes to make it happen. She wants to make a difference in the world, she wants to do something that no one said she could. She was born knowing that she wouldn't be a djeli, and that only makes her want to learn how to read and write even more. She overcomes many things throughout this book and I think this quote shows us why she wishes to keep on living. She has nothing left to live for except for this. 

The fourth quote that I think is relevant to the overall theme of the book is, "I never wanted to see Lindo again, but the idea of fleeing him terrified me." Page 285. This quote is extremely important because it is the moment in the book where Aminata finally shows us her full maturity. She is choosing to leave the "safe" place that she is in to finally be free. She has never actually been alone at any point leading up to this. This quote was the breaking point in her escaping from Lindo and the turning point of the novel. Without her saying this quote the reader might not have fully understood her loss of innocence. This was a constant theme throughout the novel and now I believe that this theme has come to an end. She has matured and wants to be on her own. 

The last quote that I believe is relevant to the theme of the book is, "It excited me to imagine that fifty years later, someone might find an ancestor in the Book of Negroes and say, "That was my grandmother"." Page 330. This quote shows us that Aminata still has some happiness in her life. It may be extremely small however she still does have excitement in her life. Aminata is so proud of this book and she is extremely happy with herself for accomplishing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment