Monday, 2 December 2013
Post #2
In my opinion I really enjoyed the essay "In the Trenches" by Charles Yale Harrison. I felt as if I was experiencing it first hand. The author used many similes and metaphors that made the text come alive such as, "The sky
is lit by hundreds of fancy fireworks like a night carnival."This line could also be considered imagery as it really paints a picture in your mind. This essay really caught my attention because of the style in which it was written. This story was told in the present tense even though it was actually being told by the author himself. This made the story more lively. You didn't know what was going to happen or if he was going to survive. I also like how the author decided to begin and end his essay. He began the essay in the forest trying to move towards the fighting line. He lead up to the future events in the essay and often said, "So this is war." This line was almost foreshadowing as he eventually learned what war really was. The way that he decided to end this essay really caught my attention. He didn't end it with a happy ending or a sad ending. He left you hanging. You are supposed to interpret what you think will happen. Overall I really enjoyed this essay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
good job
ReplyDelete